If you have to copy data from tax documents to Excel you can save hours of time
and reduce errors by automating the process. There
are many tools online, but if you’re looking for a
simple and secure tool that supports tax forms out
of the box, then DocuClipper might be a great
This article explains how to automate the process of copying W-2 or 1099 data to Excel.
Creating a template
Before you can extract any data you have to create a template.
The easiest option is to use one of the Customizable Templates as a starting point.
- Make sure you have an example W-2 or 1099 available.
- Go to “Templates > Customizable” and look for the W-2 or 1099 template.
- Click on “Use Template”.
- Drop the example W-2 or 1099.
- If your W-2 or 1099 has a slightly different layout, you might need to adjust the yellow boxes.
- Once you’re done click on “Update Template”.
Congratulations! You have a template that can be used extract data from your tax forms.
Extracting the data
Next step is extracting the data:
- Go to “Extract Data > Template”.
- Select the template you just created.
- Drop the tax forms.
- Split the documents if needed (see next section).
- Click on “Start data extraction”.
Once the process is finished you can find your data in the “Data Archive”.
Splitting the documents (optional)
DocuClipper works with one tax document at a time. If you have a PDF with one tax form per page or even multiple tax forms in the same page you need to split the document:
- Drop the tax form.
- Click on the “Split” button.
- Check “Treat each page as a separate document” if your document has 1 tax form per page.
- Select the number of tax forms in the horizontal direction in each page. Default is 1.
- Select the number of tax forms in the vertical direction in each page. Default is 1.
Exporting the data to Excel or Google Docs
Once the data is available in the “Data Archive” you can easily copy it to Google Docs.
- Go to “Data Archive”
- Click on the job.
- Click on “Export to Google Docs”.
That's it! If you have questions feel free to send us an email to email@example.com
and we'll be happy to help.